PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

If you have followed my blog for a bit you will know, I am not a soap box type.
Yes I have beliefs in parenting, life, and faith, but I choice not to share them here.
Not for any reason other then, its not me.
I am pretty light hearted happy person that likes to make EVERYONE happy and if EVERYONE is not happy my tummy does summersaults, a fault I am working on.
But today I am taking a little step up on that soap box to share something I REALLY believe in.
As a parent I believe it is your duty to make sure your children know how to swim and/or have water survival skills, period.

Over this summer Bean has been enrolled in ISR.
It has been a long 6 weeks.
5 times a week for 10 minutes a day for 6 weeks, looooong.
But I would not have had our summer any other way.


The last week of ISR, they simulate if your child fell in with clothes on. The first day was summer clothes.




Its important for them to figure out the feeling of having clothes, shoes and even a regular diaper on. And still be able to rotate to a float position and then get to the wall.







The question I heard the most was, how can you handle him crying. It would be a bazillion much more heart wrenching to never hear him cry if he were to drown, then that teeny 10 minutes.


Winter clothes day was no joke. He had some serious weight with everything on. But he did it. I could have not been more proud.





ISR can be expensive, BUT do not let that be a reason not to do it, cause they have scholarships. And promise to never turn a child away for not being able to pay.

Bean sportin his ISR shirt.

Please please please, TEACH YOUR CHILDREN TO SWIM!
And there is nothing that will substitute supervision, even ISR.
Before I step off the soap box {which the view from up here today is kinda of nice} here is the CDC's Unintentional Drowning Stats and a video of Bean rockin the summer and winter simulation.



____________________
My Hubs and I want to thank you all for the beautiful and loving comments about the loss of our Jatsy. We are still working through the motions and your comments have helped tremendously.
HUGE HUGS!!!

16 comments:

TheNameIsCasie said...

This is so, so, SO HUGE - for every child to learn, but especially those in Florida where pools are "year round" and lakes are every where!! So...this Soapbox is, hands down, one I think we all can & should hop up on! :)

CaseyWiegand said...

This is incredible!!!

Amelia Marie said...

Absolutely amazing... Thank you so much for sharing! ~Amy

Seek First said...

Wow--this is so amazing. Thanks for sharing.

I have a fun rosette headband/necklace in a giveaway right now that I think you would love. Come enter to win at http://hannahjholmes.blogspot.com/2011/08/giveaway-enter-to-win-handcrafted.html

Michelle (michabella) said...

This is definitely a huge deal and of great importance for those who live in FL. I feel every child should know how to swim. I remember my sister and I going through this when we moved to FL.

Go BEAN!!! <3

Marissa said...

Go Nolan!!! I'm proud of you!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness look at him swimming! So adorable, and so safe now. :)

Brooke said...

That is AWESOME! ISR is such a great program. My daughter did it about 5 years ago and has been a fish ever since!

Eryn said...

Wow, what a trooper! He is the sweetest. Great job Bean! :)

Jami Nato said...

thats pretty freaking awesome.

AmandaBryce said...

That. Was. Amazing! I wish they had that in my area! I would sign up in a heartbeat!

Congrats to the Bean :)

Christa said...

I love that you posted this. My mom and I were talking about just swim lessons for the kids this year. I think it's so incredibly important for them to know and I'm kicking myself that I haven't done it sooner. I will definitely be checking out ISR. We went to a creek in the mountains recently and I was freaking out the whole time. It wasn't even that deep, but there was a current and Em doesn't know how to swim. I thought the creek was going to be super shallow...wrong.

Cat Kotaka said...

You probably saved a life with this...

Kristin said...

i just shared this on facebook as well. unbelievable!!

deangirlnj said...

Our local ISR instructor just held a demonstration. It was great to see it in person. She worked one on one with kids from 1-6 and it was excellent. I had heard about this class from you on your blog and was thrilled to find a week later that the Atlanticare Life Center was hosting the free demo. I can't wait to get my 15 month old signed up. Thanks for sharing.

Anna K. said...

Swimming is a skill they will use for the rest of their lives. For safety reasons and simply for exercise as well. Props to you for getting the kids in the pool early!